ABOUT ISSUE 3
With Making Stories Magazine, we strive to feature companies and makers who focus on sustainability, transparency, fairness and equity in their work. We love telling their stories and hope to inspire and enable crafters to make conscious and informed decisions about the materials they use and the companies they support.
In Issue 3, you will find patterns for garments and accessories alongside some wonderful articles that are inspired by growth.
- The Fibre Co. Cumbria Fingering & Worsted
- Lino Mūka
- mYak Tibetan Cloud Wool
- Triskelion Yarn Emrys Sport
- Woolly Mammoth Fibre Co. Natural Sock
- De Rerum Natura Antigone
- Stolen Stitches Nua Sport
- Garthenor No. 1
- Valentina Cosciani
- Nataliya Sinelshchikova
- Claire Walls
- A L Leong
- Vanessa Pellisa
- Stephanie Earp
- Sari Nordlund
- Making Stories
In addition to the designs, we have a range of amazing articles in Issue 3:
- Ani Lee dismantles beauty standards in today’s world
- Beatrice Perron Dahlen (Thread & Ladle), Emma Robinson (Woolly Mammoth Fibre Co.), Armenuhi Khachatryan (Oysters & Purls) and Sandra Braida (L’Échappée Laine) talk about sustainable business growth and whether or not sustainability and growth are mutually exclusive
- Gaye Glasspie (ggmadeit.com) shares how her crafting business took off and what that has to do with authenticity and vulnerability
- Alina Jordan takes a critical look at how Instagram has affected our knitting lives
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT MAKING STORIES MAGAZINE?
We’re (to our knowledge) the only ad-free knitting magazine on the market today. We believe in preserving our independence when it comes to deciding who we feature and work with through not accepting any ads for this magazine.
We’re printing on 100% recycled paper, one of the few that’s certified not only with the EU Ecolabel and the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, but also with the Blauer Engel certificate.
We’re keeping production and fulfilment as local as possible, working with Druckhaus Berlin-Mitte as our printer, the first printer to be certified with Blauer Engel, and with Urbanmail as our fulfilment and shipping partner, both here in Berlin.
Who’s behind Making Stories Magazine?
Making Stories GmbH is an independent knitwear design publisher based in Berlin, owned and run by Verena Cohrs and Hanna Lisa Haferkamp alongside their small but growing team.
We believe in choosing to use resources and capacities, be they human, environmental, social or financial, in a way that can be sustained in the long run. We believe in being aware of and actively reflecting on all parts of our (work) process and communicating them openly and honestly. We believe in treating all living beings involved in our work fairly, respectfully and lovingly and in caring about and for their physical and mental well-being. We believe in not discriminating against anyone based on gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, health, physical appearance, economic situation, education or any other factor, being mindful of what that means for their lives and their stories and working towards a world where everyone is free to create the life they wish to live.